Monday, January 2, 2012

Recipe #1 ; Grandmas Potato Soup

To start off 2012 I am doing my recipe post.  I thought I would try and share one recipe a month for 2012.  All of our fellow bloggers share some wonderful recipes and I figured one a month was not too extreme.  This is a recipe that my Grandmother made, gave to my mother, who shared it with me.  We love it.  And it's good to take to cattle shows and drop in the crock pot for lunch or supper.  Or when your farmer is in the field.  And it's really good after it has sat overnight in the refrigerator. Sometimes I make a double batch and freeze half for a quick meal.  Enjoy and let us know what you think.  Happy Monday!



The ingredients: 7 medium potatos, 1 small onion, 3 cans evaporated milk, 4 cups of diced ham, 1 stick of butter, 2 cans cream of celery, 1 cup of bacon bits, 8 oz of shredded cheese and croutons.


Peel and dice the potatos.  Then put in a dutch oven or deep pot.


Then put the stick of butter in the pot.


Dice your onion finely and then add to the pot.


Add just enough water to cover the potatos.
 Cover and bring to a boil, until the potatos are cooked halfway through.


While the potatos are boiling dice the ham.
  Once the potatos are partially cooked, reduce to a simmer and add the bacon bits and ham.


Then add your two cans of cream of celery  to the pot.
 And add the 3 cans of evaporated milk.  Turn to low heat.
Add milk to make the soup the consistency you want.


Let the soup simmer until the potatos cooked through and heated completely through


The cheese and croutons for the finishing touches.


And a yummy bowl of potato soup.
 I like to make fresh bread with it and butter it.  Yummo!


2 comments:

The Coolidges said...

Sounds delish!!!

Amanda said...

That looks delicious - I love hot soup in the winter time. :)