Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Rambling....


Something has been on my mind and I hope you don't mind if I share and maybe ramble a bit.
It seems lately that there is a lot of people who are getting Cancer. Yes the dreaded C word that no one wants to hear.  The word that in seconds puts your whole world spinning off it's axis.  The word that instantly can define what your world will become.  My worry is anymore that it's not who has gotten the diagnosis but when.  I truly believe that it is a product of our environment.  It used to be said it was a family trait, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Like so many of you that dreaded word has been a part of my life more times than I really care for.  And I believe it has made to a much stronger person.

As many of you may or may not know my mom lost her battle in 2003.  She had been ill for a while and the Dr.s were going through the gambit of trying to figure out what was making her so ill.  At first thought it was diabetes, ruled out.  Then her heart, she had stints.  Then her gall bladder, it was healthy but an 8cm tumor was found.  That's the day the world changed.  After that day it was a crazy amount of Dr.s appointments and calls and medicines.  There was a hospital stay, treatment, tears, fears and questions.  Then four months almost to the day the dreaded call.  My brother called and told me the worst of my fears.

Since that time I have had an aunt battle breast cancer and an uncle who is currently fighting.  I also have had the second scare of my life when my best friend was diagnosed.  Due to a dog she was working with that injured her she went to the Dr. and was diagnosed very early.  Thankfully treatment went well and she is still here with all those that love her. There are so many every day that you hear about.  No one seems to go untouched.

My words of advice from a girl who lost her best friend, mentor, inspiration and mammaw to my beauties.  Don't wait till you get horrible news.  Live each day as it's meant to be lived.  Wake up a little early, enjoy a sunrise.  Watch your babies while they are sleeping.  Turn off the radio in the car and have a conversation.  Surprise someone with a card or call.  But most of all if you are put in a horrible situation where you have a loved one who is ill do something for everyone.  Take lots of pictures good and bad.  Don't delete them or get rid of them when your emotions are raw and fresh.  Take videos of our loved ones.  And the most important of all "Say what you mean and mean what yous say" to those people.  Ask any question you have ever wanted to ask.  And say everything you have wanted to say.  Because no matter how big or small it may seem at the time you will be glad you did.

Thanks for letting ramble.  I hope you take a little time today and just be.

2 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I love your ramble it is unfortunately a sad fact of life these days. I am sick of it and I try to take everyday as it comes and make the best of it even if I sound like I am whining on a bad day I am grateful for everyday I am healthy and I am truly sick of that word.
My Dad only had four months too.
My Mom and brother and many friends are in that battle now.
Yes life is a gift and I for one love it.
Thanks for the reminder. HUGS B

Bonnie K said...

I am sorry. My husband's family has had a lot of cancer. I wish I had something to comfort you. I agree one just have to enjoy life as it comes. I give my best to those around you fighting.