Sunday, April 25, 2010

Calf Delivery














So on friday I look out the window and notice a cow in labor. Lots of friends that dont farm wanted to know how it all goes down, thus this post. This is Canute we arificially insemenated her and this is her labor. You usually have about 45 minutes from the time the sack bursts till the calf should be delivered. This labor took 35 minutes from start to finish. Some of our cows let us get to the calves for their shots and some dont. They get 2 shots and a nasal injection and iodiene on their navals to dry them up. This one is a girl. With LOTS of hair. And as you can see the other cows are not affected by any of this. I took these photos from my kitchen window, because I tend to talk out loud coaching the cows! Like they need me to do that. But hey it makes me feel better. I feel like an expectant grandparent waiting!

No comments: